Monday, January 19 we had our "anatomy" ultrasound. We had decided to find out the sex of the baby and the anticipation leading up to the appointment seemed like it would never end! Although we were excited for the appointment, I was dreading yet another painful, horrible ultrasound "prep."
You see ... my hospital gives you this little card before your appointment that threatens your life regarding two things: (1) If you bring any small children to your appointment, it will be cancelled and (2) If you do NOT drink the mandatory 32oz of water before your appointment, it will be cancelled! Luckly, this meant as long as I drank the water, my appointment would not be threatened. Not only do you have to drink 32oz before the appointment, but you need to begin drinking the 32oz one and one-half to two hours before the appointment. You must be finished drinking the water at least an hour before the appointment. If you do the math, that means you have a span of 30 minutes to one hour to drink 32oz of water and then keep it in for an hour until your appointment begins, HAVE your appointment, and then you can relieve yourself.
I found out the hard way the first ultrasound, my body physically can NOT hold 32oz at once for that long. I mean come on ... for people ALL shapes and sizes they ALL have to drink the same amount? That clearly doesn't make sense! For my first appointment - scared to have it cancelled if I didn't follow through - I drank the full 32oz. By the time we got to the hospital, I had shooting pains running up and down my back and stomach into my legs. I had tears welling up in my eyes and honestly thought I may explode. I was pacing back and forth down the hall waiting for my name and when the ultrasound tech FINALLY came to get us, she asked how much I drank and said "Oh yeah, why don't you go and relieve yourself of about half of that and then we can get started!"
Thinking I was smart for the "anatomy" ultrasound, I drank about 24oz and even let myself cheat a few times. Little did I know being 2 months further along, less water but a more sensitive bladder wasn't going to help my situation! I again had the shooting pains and tears.
We had our appointment in which the ultrasound tech took about 70 pictures! She measured every part of that baby's body. We got to see everything from the femur bone, to the heart chambers, to the lobes of the brain, to the kidneys and toes. She saved the BEST for last of course. So after about 20 minutes, she said "So, you want to find out the gender?" Of course little baby was being "very polite" as she put it. The legs were crossed and we tried everything to get it to move around. After thinking we were maybe going home to begin decorating with yellow and green only, she finally showed us the "three white dots and bright white line." What is that you may ask (we surely had no clue)?? The ultrasound tech said, "I'm about 99% sure that ... IT'S A GIRL !!" The lack of any "external anatomy" -- coupled with the female signs of the white dots -- meant we had ourselves a baby girl!!
Baby Rudy is now back to being Baby Trudy : )
February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









I think she looks Italian!
ReplyDelete